University Heights in Fall

University Heights in Fall

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

This house is one of the original homes built in the neighborhood. A photo of it can also be seen in the Historic Photos gallery section of this website.

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

This house is one of the original homes built in the neighborhood. A photo of it can also be seen in the Historic Photos gallery section of this website.

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

This house is one of the original homes built in the neighborhood. A photo of it can also be seen in the Historic Photos gallery section of this website.

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

This house is one of the original homes built in the neighborhood. A photo of it can also be seen in the Historic Photos gallery section of this website.

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Winter

University Heights in Winter

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Spring

University Heights in Spring

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Winter

University Heights in Winter

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Winter Ice

University Heights in Winter Ice

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights in Winter Ice

University Heights in Winter Ice

Photo courtesy of Nan Rochberg

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

Garden 11.jpg

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

University Heights Garden Tour

University Heights Garden Tour

Photo courtesy of Linda Ballard

Lion Gates and plaza, looking north, about 1911

Lion Gates and plaza, looking north, about 1911

This photograph was taken looking north from the Woman's National Daily Building, across the plaza to the Lion Gates and to University Heights #1 Subdivision. Trinity Avenue is in the foreground, and Harvard Avenue (now Trinity) is on the north side of Delmar.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. File ID f043p1333

University Heights #1, looking north from the Woman's Magazine Building

University Heights #1, looking north from the Woman's Magazine Building

This photograph of University Heights #1 was taken looking north from the Woman's Magazine Building, sometime before mid 1908. The ornate roof of the Conservatory is visible on the lower right. Harvard Avenue is the first street in the foreground, followed by Cornell Avenue and then Columbia Avenue. The houses are all located on Amherst Avenue.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. File ID f061p1727

 

University Heights #1, about 1905

University Heights #1, about 1905

This photograph of University Heights #1 was taken looking north from the Woman's Magazine Building. Harvard Avenue is on the right and Bryn Mawr (now Trinity) is on the left. Cornell Avenue, Columbia Avenue and Amherst Avenue all intersect with Bryn Mawr on the left. Steam is rising from the power plant at the end of the Woman's Magazine Building Press Annex.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.   File ID f061p1730

University Heights #1, about 1908

University Heights #1, about 1908

This photograph of University Heights #1 was taken looking north from the Woman's Magazine Building. Harvard Avenue is on the right and Bryn Mawr (now Trinity) is on the left. Cornell Avenue, Columbia Avenue and Amherst Avenue all intersect with Bryn Mawr on the left. Steam is rising from the power plant at the end of the Woman's Magazine Building Press Annex.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. 

 

File ID f061p1729

University Heights #1, looking northwest across Harvard Avenue

University Heights #1, looking northwest across Harvard Avenue

Edward and Mabel Lewis' house in University Heights #1 on Yale Avenue is just visible on the left of this photograph, taken sometime between 1906 and 1908. The large house in the center is on Princeton Avenue. Other houses are on streets farther north in the subdivision. Harvard Avenue, now Trinity, is in the foreground.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. 
File ID f061p1731

Edward Gardner Lewis on horseback

Edward Gardner Lewis on horseback

Edward Gardner Lewis enjoyed riding horses and he and his wife Mabel had a stable in back of their house at #2 Yale Avenue in University Heights #1 Subdivision. In this photograph he is riding on Yale Avenue accompanied by his dog. The house directly behind Lewis is 722 Yale Avenue.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. 

File ID s003p5133

 

Lewis house at #2 Yale Avenue - View 2

Lewis house at #2 Yale Avenue - View 2

The Lewises' house was the first house built in University Heights #1. When the subdivision was being laid out, Lewis reportedly purchased the least desirable piece of property in order to show what could be done. He and his wife, Mabel, built this 15 room Tudor style house. In this photograph, the pergola and pond are just visible beyond the house.

 

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.

File ID f138p0856

 

University Heights #1 at the intersection of Harvard and Princeton Avenue

University Heights #1 at the intersection of Harvard and Princeton Avenue

This photograph of University Heights #1 was taken from the Woman's Magazine Building, looking northwest across the intersection of Princeton and Harvard (now Trinity) Avenues. The small building in the foreground probably served more as a billboard than a sales office. The sales office for University Heights #1 and Lewis's other residential developments was located in the Woman's Magazine Building. The two large houses in the center are located on Cornell Avenue.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. File ID f061p1734 

House at 6975 Cornell Avenue in University Heights #1

House at 6975 Cornell Avenue in University Heights #1

This house at 6975 Cornell Avenue is one of the earliest houses built in University Heights #1. It was designed by architect Herbert C. Chivers, an associate of Edward Gardner Lewis, and architect for the Woman's Magazine Building. Chivers also designed houses, and this house matches his "Manston Residence" design in "Artistic Homes," his catalogue of house plans published in 1910. Edward Gardner Lewis owned the house for several years, but first residents were Mabel Lewis' sisters, Mrs. Charles Breyman and Mrs. Robert Crabb.

 

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. File

f062p1751

House at 6965 Princeton Avenue in University Heights #1

House at 6965 Princeton Avenue in University Heights #1

This house at 6965 (now 15) Princeton Avenue in University Heights #1 was built about 1906. It was originally #15 Princeton Avenue. It was designed by Herbert C. Chivers, architect for the Woman's Magazine Building and an associate of Edward Gardner Lewis. This design matches the "Mount Jewell Residence" in Chivers' house plan catalogue "Artistic Homes," published in 1910. It was the home of Francis V. Putnam, Treasurer of Lewis Publishing Company and University Heights Realty and Development Company. He was also City Clerk and Street Commissioner for University City. This photograph appeared in several of Lewis' publications, including "The American Woman's League and University City," published in early 1908, and "The Woman's National Daily" on May 13, 1909.

 

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. 

File ID f063p1758

 

House at 700 Yale Avenue in University Heights #1 - View 2

House at 700 Yale Avenue in University Heights #1 - View 2

This house at 700 Yale Avenue in University Heights #1 was built for James Coyle. Coyle was President of Coyle and Company, a director of the Missouri Lincoln Trust, the Louisiana Purchase Exposition and the People's Savings Trust Company. He also was an alderman for University City.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library. 

 

 

File ID f062p1737

 

Woman's Magazine Building, Press Annex and Woman's National Daily Building, looking southeast, about 1907

Woman's Magazine Building, Press Annex and Woman's National Daily Building, looking southeast, about 1907

The Woman's Magazine Building and Press Annex, designed by Herbert C. Chivers, were built for the Lewis Publishing Company in 1903. This photograph, taken looking east about 1907, shows the two additions that were made to the north end of building for truck and streetcar access. One entrance was accessible from both the east and west sides of the building. The Woman's National Daily Building is visible on the right at the top of the hill. It was also designed by Chivers, and completed in late 1906.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.

File ID f277p0967

Woman visiting People's University Art Academy in 1911

Woman visiting People's University Art Academy in 1911

On March 14, 1911 this large group of women walked north on Overlin Avenue (later renamed Harvard Avenue) toward the Art Academy of the People's University, probably to attend some special event. The Art Academy building was designed by Eames and Young, and completed in late 1909. This building was the only one constructed of the six that Edward Gardner Lewis planned to build for the school.

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.

File ID f093p0043

Mail trucks arriving at Woman's Magazine Building Press Annex, about 1908

Mail trucks arriving at Woman's Magazine Building Press Annex, about 1908

The Woman's Magazine Building and Press Annex, designed by Herbert C. Chivers, were built for the Lewis Publishing Company in 1903. This photograph, taken looking southeast about 1908, shows the two additions that were made to the north end of building for truck and streetcar access. Mail trucks are approaching the building from Oberlin Avenue (now Harvard Avenue). The Egyptian style Woman's National Daily Building is visible on the left. It was also designed by Chivers, and completed in late 1906.

 

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.

File ID f277p0964

Woman's Magazine Building, Press Annex and Woman's National Daily Building, May 20, 1910

Woman's Magazine Building, Press Annex and Woman's National Daily Building, May 20, 1910

The Woman's Magazine Building and Press Annex, designed by Herbert C. Chivers, were built for the Lewis Publishing Company in 1903. The Press Annex was redesigned in late 1908 by architects Eames and Young so that it more closely resembled the design of the Magazine Building, and a second story was added at that time to provide more work space for Lewis' growing publishing business. This photograph, taken on November 27, 1909, shows the west side of the building after remodeling was complete. The street in the foreground is Harvard Avenue (now Trinity Avenue).

All historic digital images appearing on this website have been published with permission from the University City Library.File ID f277p0970