Helpful Services

If you are new to the neighborhood, Welcome! This list of helpful services was created with you in mind. In addition to this list of resources, a group of dedicated neighbors have put together a Welcome Packet that contains everything they think you might want to know to get settled in. Much of the information in the packet can also be found throughout this website, including the list below. The City of University City has also culled helpful resources for residents new to University City on their website. If there is information you cannot find in the packet, this website, or the City's website, please contact the Neighborhood Association Board and they will do their best to answer your question or lead you in the right direction. 


Ameren Electric 

(800) 552-7583 

Ameren Electric maintains the street lights located in the tree lawn (but not the ornamental ones in the street intersections, for which you should contact Trustee Mark Harvey (314-398-7485).  Report problems to Ameren, giving them the number that is on the pole or the address where the pole is located.  They also own a right of way along the power lines and periodically prune the trees there.   If you lose power, report the outage and track the expected time frame for its resolution by calling their toll free number. 

Bulky Item Pickup/Removal (aka "Big Trash Day")

University City Public Works and Parks Department       (314) 505-8560

Once in April and again in September, the City collects large household trash in each neighborhood.  What can and cannot be left on the curb to be removed is explained on the City’s web site ( as are the collection dates for our subdivision. The date will also be posted at the entrance to the subdivision and is usually in the University City calendar. This service is free of charge to residents.

If you would like to schedule a special bulk pickup, call the Public Works and Parks Department at least seven (7) days in advance to have your items collected from your front curb by University City staff. There is a fee of $25 per item with a $200 maximum fee for up to ten (10) pick-up items. To receive this service, your University City bills must be paid (no outstanding fees).

Centennial Commons Recreational Center

7210 Olive Blvd       (314) 505-8625

Centennial Commons is a multi-purpose activity center with recreation and fitness facilities, and room rentals.  Personal training and group classes are available. Childcare is also available. Membership includes access to Heman Park Swimming Pool, the Natatorium indoor pool, discount on programs, and resident rates at Ruth Park Golf Course.  Visit the Centennial Commons Facebook page for current announcements. 

Construction Permits

6801 Delmar Blvd      (314) 505-8500

Consult the Department of Community Development at 314-505-8500 as to whether a building permit is needed before you construct any structure outside of your existing walls, or do significant work, such as plumbing and wiring, inside your home.  These permits are intended to help keep the homeowners safe and assure that residents are adhering to neighborhood rules.  If you install a fence, hot tub, pool, deck, porch, addition, garage, garden shed or other structure, you must first check with the City.  If you need a building permit, complete the City forms, many of which can be found online. If you cannot find the permit form you need online, you can pick it up at City Hall. Before you submit your forms to the City, arrange for any one of the trustees to review and approve them.  The City will not act on these forms until they are signed by a trustee.

Department of Revenue, St. Louis County- Collection Division   

41 S. Central Ave, Clayton, MO 63105            (314) 615-5500

This department handles property tax, personal property tax, and tax waivers and is conveniently located in downtown Clayton.

Driver's License and Car Registration/Missouri Department of Revenue

Visit the Missouri Department of Revenue website for a list of nearby offices. The website also provides helpful information regarding identification requirements to apply for a driver/nondriver license, information on renewing your license plates, vehicle safety inspections, FAQ about the Missouri point system for tickets, and much more.

Metropolitan Sewer District (MSD) 

(314) 768-6260

MSD handles sewer problems and they maintain the storm sewers.  Rainwater drains from the streets into big inlets in the curbs.  Should the inlet near your home clog and cause standing water in your street, report the problem to MSD.  They also maintain the sanitary sewers from your home.  The pipe that carries waste from your home enters your “sewer lateral” pipe under your front lawn and connects to the main sewer pipe near the center of the street.  The main sewer line belongs to MSD; however, if your sewer lateral pipe becomes broken or clogged, it is your responsibility to repair it.  Clogs may be cleared by a plumber, but a broken lateral can be a big repair.  Fortunately, University City has a “sewer lateral repair program.”  The City’s sewer lateral repair program will pay a large portion of the cost to repair or replace the sewer lateral.   If you have a problem with a broken sewer lateral, call the City (314) 505-8560 before you hire a plumber to be sure the plumber is a part of the repair payment program.  Damaged or blocked pipes located inside your home are not covered under this program. 

Missouri American Water

(866) 430-0820

Missouri American Water provides our water service. The website provides information for setting up an account and ways to pay your bill, and also has information (reports) about our water quality.

Nextdoor Website

Nextdoor is a social media website for neighbors. We use it to communicate and disseminate announcements within University Heights and nearby neighborhoods. Overall, we have found it useful for keeping up with events that impact our area as well as finding neighbor-recommended goods and services. If you have not already signed up, we strongly encourage you to take advantage of this free resource. To join, you can email Eileen Pfeiffer (trustee) directly or go to the Nextdoor website.  If you go to the site initially, one of the Nextdoor "Neighborhood Leads" from University Heights will verify your membership and then you will have full access to the site. As a member you can post messages, make announcements, and invite your neighbors to join. Adjust your settings to manage your account, privacy, and the frequency you receive announcements.  

Non-Emergency Police

(314) 725-2211

For any disturbance or issue that you feel requires police attention, please contact the University City Police at the Non-Emergency number. Read more about our neighborhood safety.

Occupancy Permits

6801 Delmar Blvd      (314) 505-8500

Anyone moving into University City must obtain an occupancy permit to ensure that the dwelling has been inspected and is safe for occupancy. Forms can be downloaded from the City's website and can also be picked up on the 4th floor of City Hall.

Owning Pets in University City

(314) 505-8544

Annual Pet Vaccination

Every year the City hosts a pet clinic where dog and cat owners can receive a one-year rabies vaccination and preliminary health exam for their pets. All pets must be at least 3 months old. Dogs must be leashed and cats must be in carriers. Residents and non-residents will have an opportunity to apply for membership to the University City Dog Park at this event. Fees apply. Please visit the City's website for more information. 

Dog License

The City requires all dogs have a license appearing on their collars. To obtain a license, visit the Finance Department in City Hall (6801 Delmar Blvd) for an application. Applications must be accompanied with written proof of vaccinations and must include the name of the owner, address of the owner, telephone number, dog's gender, age, breed, color and name. Dog licenses must be renewed annually. Failure to obtain a dog license could result in the issuance of a citation. Fee is $3 per license. 

University City Dog Park

At the intersection of Vernon and Pennsylvania, there is a dog park play area. It is operated by the U.City People for Dogs. Member registration and a liability form must be completed and dog park tags must be obtained before using the park. Tags and applicable forms are available in the Finance department of City Hall. Fees to use the dog park for residents are $40/year for one dog and $60/year for two dogs. University City residents must show proof of residency (license, state issued identification, occupancy permit, etc.) Please visit the City's website for more information.

Post Office

561 Kingsland Ave        (800) 275-8777

Our neighborhood is conveniently located within walking distance to the nearest Post Office, at the corner of Delmar and Kingsland.

Trash Removal, Recycling, and Yard Waste Disposal

Trash and recycling containers, as well as plant materials for composting, are collected on Monday, except for Monday holidays, when they will be collected on Tuesday.  Put the rolling containers on the street edge, with the wheels to the curb, no earlier than the night before.   Larger containers are available for temporary needs for a fee from the City.  If your trash or recycling container is damaged, contact the City for repair or replacement.

The rules for these three (3) different types of collections should be reviewed on the University City website.  The plant materials (yard waste) must be put in recycling paper bags, available at many stores. The paper bags must have a City sticker on them.  Stickers can be purchased by mail, at City Hall, nearby Schnucks and Walgreens, and several other locations. Refer to the City's website for a list of locations and how to order stickers by mail. From October 15th through December 31, you may put out paper bags of yard waste without a sticker. 

Christmas trees are collected at curbside for free in January. In addition, the City collects leaves from the gutters several times per year, twice in the fall and once in the spring.  The dates are listed in the City's website and a sign will be posted at the subdivision entrances prior to the collection.  Rake leaves into the gutters only on the weekend before our scheduled pickup.   

Mulch from recycled leaves, as well as wood chips from trees removed by the City and Christmas tree recycling, is available for delivery for a fee. Call (314)505-8560 to schedule a delivery.  

University City Hall

6801 Delmar Blvd

Our City Hall is at the corner of Trinity and Delmar. Visit to locate the department that can best address your issue. For more information about this historic building, read Our History page or visit the University City Library's Digital Collection.

University City Library

6701 Delmar Blvd        (314) 727-3150

We are conveniently located within walking distance to the University City Library. Our library houses an excellent collection of books, periodicals, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks and online resources. The library hosts events for adults and children. There are book groups (clubs), computer classes, health screenings, author visits, film screenings and more for adults. The library offers several story times throughout the week for children ages 12 to 23 months, 2 to 5 year olds, and 3 to 5 year olds. Other children's activities are available throughout the year.  Bring your driver’s license and proof of local address (if different from that on your license) to apply for your free borrower’s card.       

University City Fire Department

Fire House #1:  863 Westgate Avenue   (314) 505-8592
Fire House #2:  1045 North & South Road

Our fire department provides emergency services and fire prevention guidance and safety education. For non-emergency situations, contact the fire department with the number listed. 

University City Public Schools

Julia Goldstein Early Childhood    737 Kingsland Avenue    314-721-2965  

Elementary School     Flynn Park    7220 Waterman    314-290-4421     

Middle School            Brittany Woods    8125 Groby    314-290-4280

High School               U City High School    7401 Balson    314-290-410

University City has an early childhood center for children from birth through Pre-kindergarten, four elementary schools (grades K-5), one middle school (grades 6-8), and one high school (grades 9-12). Children in University Heights attend Flynn Park Elementary School.